You can try to be as prepared as you can for the morning ahead but if you have a kid you just never know what awaits you come sunrise. This is quick, simple and all so nourishing! All you need until you can catch your breath!
This makes a batch of 500ml: (1 Serving = 250ml)
- 510ml Boiled Whole Organic Milk (Or milk of choice, even hot spring water)
- 3 Teaspoons soaked Goji Berries
- 8 Soaked Almonds
- 3 Teaspoons Dried Coconut Flakes soaked
- 6 Dates
- 1 Teaspoon Blackstrap Molasses
- ¼ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Mixed Spice Powder
- 2 Teaspoons soaked Chia
- Soak goji berries, almonds, coconut flakes, dates in 100ml of spring water. Soak overnight just before you go to bed (Set a memo on your phone)
- Soak chia seeds in 50-100ml of spring water overnight.
- In the morning the boil on the stove. Just as it comes to the boil take off the stove. (if it is a non-dairy milk you can use it at room temperature)
- Add the goji berries, almonds, coconut flakes and dates then turmeric, mixed spice, and blackstrap molasses.
- Blitz until your desired consistency is reached
- Add soaked chia seeds
- Stir and Enjoy!
As a real time saver soak the almonds, coconut flakes, dates and blackstrap molasses, then add the turmeric and mixed spice powder. Blitz to a paste. Store in a glass jar. This can keep for a week in the fridge. So when needed, just boil milk add your paste then add soaked chia.
Why soak nuts and seeds? By soaking, you are breaking down the phytic acid so it can be absorbed properly. Nuts also have high amounts of enzymes inhibitors. This is another reason why un soaked nuts are hard to digest. Soaking nuts neutralizes the enzymes allowing for proper digestion.
Why is Breakfast the most important meal of the day?
An interview with Dr. Vasant Lad, M.A.Sc., is one of the world’s foremost experts in Ayurveda. The full interview with MBDBLOG can be found here
Ayurveda says that a poor digestion is the root cause of many diseases. However, modern doctors rarely ask about diet and digestion. Why is digestion so important in ayurveda?
Ayurveda talks a great deal about digestion and Agni. Agni means gastric fire, enzymes, and metabolism. A healthy strong Agni is really important for maintaining health. If Agni is low, then food will not be digested properly and undigested food will create toxic morbid metabolic waste. Undigested waste products create AMA – an ayurvedic term for toxins. According to ayurveda, Ama is the root cause of all disease. Ama is very sticky by nature and clogs up internal channels in the body. Toxins accumulated in the body weaken the immune system and we become vulnerable to infections; they adversely effect our digestion and eventually can lead to serious neurological problems. As you can see, low digestive fire (agni) and excess production of toxins in the body is the main reason that we get sick according to ayurveda. Ayurveda put a great emphasis on maintaining a healthy efficient digestion and elimination.